Obe La Di Obe La Da Life goes on... on.. la la la la life goes on...

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Deaf Nigerians, Vulgar Signs, and Chinese Moms

I love weekends. They are the best. This was a good one... quick as always, but good.. Deaf Awareness Night went really well.. we had about 100 people there... the presenter's name was Jubby (Ju-bee) Rabiu (Rab-e-oo). He is from Nigeria. He is married to a lady who is also from Nigeria and who is also deaf. They have three hearing boys, so cute! He was born hearing and went to a public school until he was seven, when he became sick and lost his hearing. In Nigeria, deafness is looked upon as a curse. If someone is deaf, people think they must have commited some sin that resulted in punishment of God taking away their hearing. Jubby was born into a muslim family. They all shunned him when he became deaf. When he was eleven he went to the deaf school in Nigeria. It was run by Christians who took the children to church each week. After a while of playing church, while still participating in muslim practices, he eventually became a Christian. He now boldy says that if he had never been deaf, he would likely have never come to know Jesus Christ, so he considers his deafness to be the biggest blessing in his life. After moving to the states, he has become very educated and respected in the area of advocacy and empowerment of people with disabilities. His family no longer views his deafness as a curse. They see what and who he has become and they respect him. Many of them have even become believers. He teaches and preaches the gospel wherever he goes, not because he is a preacher, but because he is a believer in Christ and he recognizes and responds to that through his life. He wasn't even there to give his testimony, but someone ended up asking a question that allowed him to go there and he did- and what a blessing it was. Isn't it amazing what God can do with a life surrendered to Him. A life that asks not to be removed from pain or struggle, but who asks to be sustained through it for His glory. Jesus is able and he will do it.

Saturday I went to see "chicago" at the Fox theatre in atlanta with my friend Will. We crashed the deaf section. It was interpretted by three very talented theatrical interpretters. I had fun, but I can say I learned some signs I wish I'd never known. I guess if I have any plans of being around deaf high schoolers, I should know them, but yuck.

I sat outside all day today. I love beautiful sundays. I just took a blanket out back and slept a bit and read a bit and studied a bit. It was delightful. My neighbor xing xing had the same idea. She brought her little baby Anning, which means peaceful, outside to play. They just sat on a blanket and were together. That's one great thing I have noticed about Chinese moms, they are so devoted to their children. Time and again, I have seen the moms and children just play and play on the playground together. Running around, sliding down the slide, swinging together... American moms are good too, they take their kids to the playground, but mostly they just sit on a bench. I want to be like a chinese mom.

I think coke is better than Pepsi.... and there is definately a difference. I like all coke products, but my all time favorite is Caffeine Free Classic Coke. It's good with ham and pineapple pizza and popcorn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home